Speech and Debate Team
|Thanks to our 2012-13
|Angela R. Gasser, DDS (Gold Sponsor)
|Wissel's Auto Repair (Silver Sponsor)
Dr. Norman & Jean Christopher
|John & Janet Sours (Silver Sponsor)
|J.M. Smucker Company (Silver Sponsor)
|Bil-Jac Foods, Inc. (Silver Sponsor)
|Owens-Corning (Silver Sponsor)|
Community Night -- Please Join Us!
You are invited to attend the Highland Speech & Debate Team Community Night from 7-8 p.m. on Friday, January 31 at Highland High School. The team, which is among the top 5% of teams in the nation, will celebrate another successful season and offer visitors a glimpse of the team in action as they host a mock tournament. There will be drama, humor, critical thinking, debates and other performance events. Light refreshments will be served. This hour of exhibition will be followed by the team's awards ceremony in the auditorium.
Highland's Tournament Results
After a long needed rest, here are the results from Highland's very own tournament!. Our team tied for 5th place in the team sweeps with Wadsworth. Emily Nosek placed 4th in Humorous Interpretation; John DiGiacobbe placed 4th in United States Extemporaneous Speaking; Carolyn Kusoski placed 2nd in Original Oratory; Jeff Rolland placed 4th in Impromptu Speaking and Ben Lewis was Highland's Tournament Champion in the same event. Lydia Mainzer and Carissa Temerson both advanced to Super Congress.
Members on the Move!
The team competed against 18 teams on December 7 at North Canton Hoover High School and emerged with four tournament champions and a total of 10 students trophy for the day. They captured 4th place in the team sweeps. Placing for the team were:
- Chad Eichhorn, 5th in International Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Amelia Mainzer, 6th in Prose Poetry;
- Emily Nosek, 5th in Humorous Interpretation;
- Lydia Mainzer, 6th in her chamber in Student Congress;
- Ben Lewis, 3rd in Impromptu Speaking;
- Jeff Rolland was tournament champion in Impromptu Speaking;
- John DiGiacobbe was tournament champion in United States Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Rachel Boedicker was tournament champion in Lincoln Douglas Debate;
- Maha Rashid and Jacob Lewton placed 3rd in Public Forum Debate;
- Maddie Anich and Liz Schmidt were tournament champions in Public Forum Debate.
The team also competed on December 14 at both Vermillion and Glen Oak tournaments. The team placed a total of nine students, bringing home a 3rd place in the team sweeps with only part of the team at Vermillion. Placing for the team were:
- Kelly Meaden, 6th in US Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Hannah Stein, 5th and Morgan Staten placed 2nd in International Extemporaneous Speaking;
- Amelia Mainzer, 6th in Prose Poetry;
- Emily Nosek, 2nd in Humorous Interpretation;
- Jeff Rolland, 3rd in Impromptu Speaking;
- Christine Withrow, 6th in Original Oratory;
- Melissa Bakes and Allison Jackson, 3rd in Duo Interpretation;
- Abby McMaster, 6th in Oratorical Interpretation.
Highland’s Debaters competed at the two-day Glen Oak Debate Tournament. Rachel Boedicker, Jacob Lewton and Maha Rashid broke into the final 48, while Carissa Temerson qualified for Super Congress. Liz Schmidt and Maddie Anich were quarter finalists. Congratulations to all the team members on their fine showing!
We Need Your Support!
Online donations for the team can be made through the Highland Pay For It link. Click on the donations box and choose Speech and Debate Team.
2013-14 Tournament Schedule:
* Final season tournaments are MANDATORY (unless otherwise notified by coach)
|Sat., 10/26/13||Glen Oak High School Novice|
|Fri., 11/1/13 (debate); Sat., 11/2/12 (both teams)||Perry High School|
|Sat., 11/9/13||Wadsworth High School|
|Sat., 11/16/13||Copley High School|
|Sat., 11/23/13||Mentor High School|
|Sat., 12/7/13||North Canton Hoover|
|Fri., 12/13/13 (debate only); Sat. 12/14/13||Glen Oak High School|
|Sat., 12/14/13 (speech only)||Vermillion High School|
|Sat., 12/21/13||Highland High School|
|Sat., 1/11/14||Berea High School (or *Sylvania)|
|Fri., 1/17/14 (debate); Sat., 1/18/14 (all events) (Power)||Wooster High School|
|Sat, 1/25/14||Akron OHSSL Tourney at Medina HS|
|Fri., 1/31/14 (REQUIRED)||Community Night - Highland High School|
|Fri., 2/14/14 (debate); Sat., 2/15/14 (both teams)||EONFL Districts at Glen Oak High School|
|Thurs., 2/27/14 (coaches); Fri., 2/28/14; Sat., 3/1/14||State Tourney in Wooster|
* In order to be considered to attend the Sylvania Tournament, students must qualify in the following categories:
• Competed in all six of the first tournaments of the season (Highland Tournament is the cut-off)
• Placed a minimum of three times out of the six
• Competitors must be a current senior
• Competitor’s parents must pay for hotel, transportation and be available to judge at tournament. This is a two-day event.
Speech and Debate Team Council 2013-14
- President: Maha Rashid
- New Member Coordinator: Ben Lewis (speech), Sarah Hoose (debate)
- Social Events Coordinators: Liz Schmidt, Heidi Kuchta
- Mentors: Rachel Boedicker (LD), Haleigh Copley (PP), Heidi Kuchta (Policy), Jacob Lewton (PF), Abbey McMaster (OI), Emily Nosek (Duo), Jeff Rolland (Imp), Carissa Temerson (Congress), Gordon Wigton (HI), Christine Withrow (OO).
- Speech Rep: Chris Pace
- Debate Rep: Maddie Anich
- Publicity Coordinator: Abbey McMaster
- Secretary/Data: Emily Nosek
- Treasurer: Christine Withrow
- Photographers: Tanner Steinbacher, Rachel Boedicker
- Fundraiser: Morgan Staten